Tuesday 4 August 2015

Outcomes

I made it to 300 posts!  I should print all this out and make it a book one day.  Would be good reading.

Talking to a friend, I came to a conclusion that the Pig Out event was fun in organising.  I was energised to make stuff happen, I was energised throughout the whole event.  It was some kind of "eustress" which felt like I was performing at a good level.  The ironic thing is that I was not that in love with the cause itself.  To me, whichever charity got the money (or actually didn't, since we didn't make enough) was not a huge factor in my satisfaction with the event.  At least this aligns with my life theme of "hard on the process, easy on the result".  But taking that to the extreme, it may mean that I don't care about any result.  Is that a bad thing?

My friend suggests to me the even greater satisfaction of finding something where I care about the result, would it drive me more?  Rational thinking would tell me yes, but my gut feeling is that it may not.

If the outcome is arbitrary to me, or rather, my feelings on the outcome are arbitrary, then the "utility" I get from working really hard on only one thing will not be as beneficial as working hard on many, different things.  Because at the very least, with different things, I get to have different experiences, different knowledge sets, different networks of people.  The growth for me as a person then becomes much greater, no matter what the outcome is.

It also follows that I should find someone whom I respect a lot, and believe that the outcomes they are aiming for are large and inherently good for society.  If I find such a person, then naturally I will put in my effort, and hopefully their outcome is a positive effect on the people around them.

I have been reading James Altucher's "Choose Yourself" series of books, and one area that I feel I am lacking in is a strong mental health.  And by mental health, I mean coming up with ideas.  I am good at building other people's ideas, but starting my own ideas is not as strong.  It comes down to using the idea muscle more.  I commit to starting this process tomorrow.  If I can build on my own ideas, that might make me more committed to those ideas, and the outcomes they produce.


No comments: